Potatoes & Cucumbers
Mom Vidergar's Version of a Slovenian Peasant Dish
- 1 large box instant potatoes (plus milk and butter/margerine, as
- 4 large cucumbers
- 2-3 yellow onions
- 1 lb bacon
- ~1 cup sour cream (can use low fat)
- red wine vinegar
- black pepper
- Can serve with: klobase or ham.
- Put bacon in the freezer ahead of time to make slicing easy.
- Peel and very finely slice cucumbers. Squeeze cucumbers with hands to
release juice. Leave cucumbers in a bowl with their own juice.
- Finely chop 2 to 2.5 of the onions. Add to cucumbers and mix and squeeze
tightly together. You can even use a masher. Leave in bowl, cover with a
plate, and set aside ideally for a couple hours.
- Prepare potatoes as per directions, not too soupy.
- Squeeze cukes and onions again to get rid of the juice, drain in
- Cut bacon into ~1/2 inch square pieces. Put into microwaveable dish,
cover, and cook until about half-way done. Stop and stir several times
along the way.
- Coarsely chop ~1/2 onion. When the bacon has emitted lots of
grease, then add coarsely chopped onion and microwave together until bacon
turns to "cracklin's." Don't overcook--stop cooking before bacon
turns to charcoal.
- Combine cukes/onions to potatoes. Add bacon/onion (and a little of the
grease) to potatoes/cukes/onions. Mix well.
- Add sour cream a little at a time. Keep mixing.
- Pour vinegar in gradually and mix in (probably not more than a cup
total--don't make it too soupy).
- Add pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
- Jete vi!
edited on Monday, January 01, 2001